Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Something to be said about stepping out of your comfort zone...

~Adventure isn’t hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life -- facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown and in the process, discovering our own unique potential ~ --John Amatt

What started off as a fairly uneventful day definitely ended on a high note. I made plans to meet with a friend of mine to try out his motorcycle after work yesterday and due to one or more unforseen circumstances we ended up meeting an hour later than planned. But everything worked out since the timing made it possible to avoid the worst of the traffic.

We met up at Starbucks and then rode his Hayabusa across the water into the Lake Union area to see his friend who lived on a houseboat. Side note: R1's are nice but Hayabusa's are better. More comfortable if you're a passenger. Anyway we met his friend and borrowed his zodiac ( I call it a liferaft with a motor...but technically its a small boat) to ride around on the water. For those of you who have known me for a while you know I said Id never get into a boat where I can lean over the side and touch the water. Oh well, he convinced me to get in and it was actually really fun. We didnt go very fast and it was nice looking at all the mutli million dollar houseboats along the coast (including the Sleepless in Seattle house). Wind in my hair, sun in my face, good conversation. FUN :)

After we dropped the boat off and after I got a very nice crash course on how boats worked (torque and jet propulsion and weight ratios) we hopped back on the bike and had dinner at Eastlake Bar and Grill. After dinner, it was getting pretty dark and cold (the crosswind going back over the floating bridge was INTENSE) and his face shield was tinted so we rode up to his apartment in M.I. and grabbed his car ("JP" if you're reading this, you have a very nice collection of motor vehicles hahaha) Then he took me home.

Today I got off work earlier than expected so I decided to take advantage of the sun. Since I was just gonna be in my backyard anyway, I put on this black bikini I haven't worn since I was in college...and holy crap IT FIT!!! I remember telling myself: See?? this is why you run!!! LOL . Then I figured since its getting pretty late and it didnt seem too hot and since I saw a bunch of white people in boats yesterday DARKER than me...Id really take advantage of the sun and get tanned. I should have known better than to slather myself with baby oil and sit out for an hour and a half...45 minutes each side...I broiled like bacon :( No I'm not burned but I'm kinda pink around the edges and itchy. Oh well, after it itches some more it should turn into a really nice tan. :)

So...countdown of new stuff:
-be a passenger on a bike 300cc's bigger than Im used to? CHECK
-experience a houseboat neighborhood? CHECK
-ride a "boat" where I can touch the water without barely even leaning over the side? CHECK
-getting into a bikini I havent been able to fit into for almost 3 years? CHECK

Next up:
-going faster than 6mph in the said "boat"
-learning how to snowboard...maybe

Bring it on!

No comments: