Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What's your "happy"?

I just finished emailing back and forth with a friend of mine and the last thing we discussed (kinda) was the subject of happiness. Basically, he said that he was glad I was happy and that he was "happy that [I am] happy". And you know what? I really appreciated that. I told him that the key to being happy is to find your own sunshine, as opposed to relying on others to create it for you.

After we stopped emailing (or rather after he stopped replying to me, I assume he fell asleep) I got to thinking what makes me happy on a daily basis. And the answer was quite surprising. You know how they always say that most people find pleasure in the simplest things? Well, the one thing that makes me happy everyday is to open up my computer, turn on my internet, and see the "Slideshow of Beaches" widget on my home page. That and to log onto my favorite webcomics "Cyanide and Happiness" and "XKCD" and laugh hysterically at whatever dry humored joke they come up with.

That's it. Simple but reliable...No matter how crappy I may be feeling at whatever lemon life has decided to chuck at me on any given day, I can always manage a smile by seeing those two things.

So I guess the purpose of this blog is to encourage everyone to think about what makes them happy. The simple pleasures in life if you will, and really learn to appreciate them for what they are.

~The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet. --James Openheim~

No comments: